We have been having a lot of discussions about how to better protect against ransomware and other threats with the recent attacks that have happened in area school districts. Recently, I heard a story about a network that was hit with ransomware. The network admins cleaned up the mess and started to restore their"air-gapped" backups. Quickly they found themselves back in the same situation because the backups were compromised and contained ransomware!
The backups were"air-gapped" so the bad guys couldn't delete them as is often the case. 相反，他们感染了他们. 去年 week I watched a ransomware post-mortem where an ex-NSA offensive hacker said that often the bad guys are figuring out what the site's backup retention time is and then see if they can infect the backups through the entire retention period before launching the major attack. Remember the average statistics for how long a bad guy can exist in a network before being detected are horrific. 大多数专家都说100-200天. 有些报告比这更长.
There is no magic"ensure my backups are ransomware free" feature in any backup program.
- 确保备份是有气隙的. There must be no access between an infected machine and either the backup server or the actual backup data. 这可以是内部的受保护备份. It could be a remote backup to your BOCES/RIC or across town to a protected VLAN. It could be a cloud backup More and more we are seeing local backups such as Veeam combined with remote backups off-site to a BOCES/RIC. 有些公司在这背后有一个Veeam 云存储库.
- Make sure you maintain a backup that is completely, physically separate such as copying vital data to a removable hard drive that is not part of your or any network.
- Audit your backup strategy including what you backup, whether you have all the agents to cleanly back up whatever you need to back up, 你的留存策略是什么. If you are not the person or organization doing the off-site backups, 问你的医生这些问题. Are you comfortable with how much data you are backing up and how long you are saving it for?
- Test restore data and even a server in a sandbox to prove your backups work. This should be done at least monthly and I know some sites do some form of test restore weekly. 如果您的数据在服务器上被加密, 运行测试恢复时, you should see the encrypted files when you go to select your test restore files.
- Make sure you patch your operating systems and third-party applications on all your servers and 端点 to minimize the attack surface. Every analysis I see of major attacks against networks shows that the attacker exploited a"well known","long-standing" vulnerability that has long since had a patch available. Day zero attacks do happen, but they are extremely rare.
- 确保你有一个良好的维护, centrally managed antivirus/antimalware agent on each and every endpoint. Ideally, you should have advanced endpoint detect and response (EDR) clients vs. 传统的杀毒软件. CSI的CyberSentinel端点检测 & 回应 (CSEDR) client is our preferred protection model because it combines the best of antivirus/antimalware, 和下一代一起, advanced EDR technology PLUS a 24x7x365 安全 Operations Center (SOC) monitoring the CSEDR clients.
- If the bad guys have gotten a foothold somewhere in your network, sooner or later they are going to phone home to report they have penetrated the network. If the infection has gotten past traditional defenses - for whatever reason - then we hopefully will see it based upon behavior. 他们打算给家里打电话. CSI's Managed Firewall Service is a way to potentially see suspect traffic.
- 如果你喜欢修补和调整, you can implement Microsoft's free File Server Resource Monitor (FSRM) to actively monitor file types being saved to your servers and attempt to block/alert on common ransomware file types real-time. There are people on the internet maintaining lists of known ransomware file types and file names. If you have the time and the patience to find whatever the latest threat is and add it to all your servers, you can potentially see it and kill it before it takes root.
Remember all these technologies are screen doors. 它们不是谷仓的门. 但希望能使用多种世界杯在线投注, 查看您的服务器, 工作站, 端点, network and firewall traffic from different perspectives somebody is going to see the bad guys before things get out of hand.
If you want to talk through how to improve your network and endpoint security, give us a call. 我们很乐意帮忙.